Review: Harriet


I enjoyed this movie better than I anctipated. I left the theatre feeling proud and also a little bit more knowledgable about slavery, the Underground Railroad and the fearless Harriet Tubman.

Cynthia Erivo did an outstanding job as Harriet - her transition from slave to abolitionist was so natural and organic.  But was an even bigger surprise and bonus was her singing "Stand Up".  Who knew.

Marie played by Janelle Monae had me in tears.  Even though she was born "free", her committment to helping slaves become free and independent to the point of death touched my very being.  

I was left to wonder whether Gideon and Harriet ever had any type of physical relationship.  Gideon seemed enamored with her to the point of obsession - more than just as a slave owner.   This was never mentioned or addressed in the movie but the innuendo was defintely there.

Vanessa Bell Calloway did not disappoint, she played her normal, somewhat overly dramatic, yet melancholy role......

Watch the trailer here.



I would rate the movie an 8 out 10 - what are your thoughts?

I am Open2yorview!


Comments

Popular Posts